Farmers Insurance Open DFS Course Preview for DraftKings & FanDuel 2021
We continue our stretch in California as we approach another event that offers two courses as we present the Farmers Insurance Open DFS Course Preview for DraftKings & FanDuel 2021. As we come to a brief end to the West Coast Swing, we’ll finish at beautiful Torrey Pines. The North Course will once again be used for the first two rounds before golfers play their weekend rounds on only the South Course.
As we continue our California Swing, we make a stop at Torrey Pines, where we will have a full field of 152 players. Rory McIlroy will make his first appearance to the PGA since The Masters. Last week he finished 3rd at Abu Dhabi, so we should be expecting him in great form.
It’s good to note that the primary course will be the South Course while the North Course will see 18 holes of action. Also, keep an eye on golfers who do well this week since the South Course will host the US Open.
Just like last week, we’ll have one course with Shotlink Data (South Course) and one without (North Course). The North Course features 7 holes with a birdie rate from 26-57%, with only 5 holes looking at 19-28% bogeys.
The South Course is 7700 yards, par 72, and played on Poa Annua (Bentgrass at the North Course). Features 4 holes with a birdie rate of 30-41%, all being par 5’s. In contrast, looking at 6 holes that have a bogey rate of 23-36%.
The fairways on the South Course are tight, but there are little to no tree linings. It is important to note that the greens are small and will run fast on Poa Greens. Also, Poa Greens tend to be bumpy in the afternoon as temperatures rise. Keep that in mind. Alright, let’s get to the picks!
- Strokes Gained: Approach
- Birdie or Better Percentage
- Strokes Gained: Off The Tee
- P4: 450-500
- Strokes Gained: Putting
- Jon Rahm ($11,300) – Rahm withdrew last week due to a minor injury, but he did state he could’ve played through it but decided to take the week off. Although Rahm is the highest-priced golfer, he has excellent course history. On the Rise or Fall Study Hub – Rahm has finished 2nd, 5th, 29th, and won back in 2017. Based on my Rise or Fall Putting Strokes Database, Rahm gains 0.37 strokes on Poa Greens, and in the last 5 events, he’s gained 5.7 stokes T2G, 3.1 OTT, 1.4 on APP, and 1.1 ARG
- Harris English ($9,800) – Harris had such a wonderful 2020 season and started 2021 with a victory at The Tournament of Champions, and now he’s back at a familiar course in which he’s some success. He finished 8th in 2018 and 14th in 2017. In his last 5 events, he’s gained 2.5 strokes T2G, 1.7 OTT, and half a stroke on APP.
- Rory Mcilroy ($11,000) – Rory is coming off a 3rd place finish at Abu Dhabi at the European Tour. So it’s safe to say that he’s coming to Torrey Pines in great condition. And if we take a look at him at the RIse or Fall Study Hub, he’s finished 3rd and 5th! Lastly, based on my Poa Greens Model, he’s ranked 1st overall – 1st in OTT, BoB%, T2G, and Ball Striking.
- Matthew Wolff ($9,100) – Last week, I actually thought Wolff was gonna miss the cut, but he actually made the cut and finished 40th. In my overall model, Wolff is ranked 6th – 1st on APP, 4th in BS, 15th in T2G, and 16th in BoB%. Lastly, on the Rise or Fall Study Hub, we can see Wolff finished 21st last year.
Dark Horse Play
- J.B. Holmes ($6,900) – I swear I’m a sucker for JB, but it’s hard not to be. He started the 2020 season with 3 top 20 finishes and then got injured. The last time we saw him play was at Shriners, so nearly 4 months ago. But if we look over to the Rise or Fall Study Hub, you know that either this course either fits you or you play terribly. For JB, he’s placed 16th, MC, 4th, 33rd, and 6th. JB also actually performs much better on Poa Greens by gaining 0.2 strokes on the putter